Effective March 16, 2020, the City of Bangor General Assistance program located at 103 Texas Avenue in Bangor will be conducting phone interviews with scheduled clients rather than seeing them in the office. If you currently have a scheduled General Assistance appointment, please be prepared to answer your phone at that time. The caseworker will conduct a phone interview, and your vouchers will be sent to you in the mail. If you have a General Assistance emergency and do not have a scheduled appointment, please do not come to the office. Call 207-992-4530 and arrangements will be made to conduct a phone interview with you as soon as possible.
Every town in Maine has a General Assistance program that helps people in need who have no other resources. Assistance is provided for basic necessities, such as affordable housing, utilities, and food. Bangor General Assistance is available to Bangor residents only.
How to Apply
All adults in the household must apply at the General Assistance office at 103 Texas Avenue in Bangor. A caseworker will interview you to complete an application.
Applicants Must Bring:
- Identification documents (photo identification preferred)
- Proof of any money available to the household during the last 30 days (this includes wages, TANF, child support, social security benefits, veteran’s benefits, etc.)
- Proof of current expenses
- Name of landlord
- Current eviction or disconnection notice
- Statement from doctor (if you are unable to work)
- Proof of all current assets and/or benefits received
Applicants are required to seek any and all resources that would reduce their need for General Assistance, such as:
- Benefits such as SSD, SSDI
- Veteran’s benefits
- DHHS benefits (SNAP, MaineCare, TANF, and FedCap)
- Heating assistance
- Child Support
- Money from others or bills paid by others on your behalf
- Lump sum payments, such as Workers’ Compensation or SSI
- Financial aid for school
- Land claim settlements
It is a basic requirement of the program that everyone works or looks for work.
Walk-Ins for Emergencies
General Assistance also offers walk-in hours for people to apply under the following emergency guidelines:
- Current written eviction notice
- Secured affordable new housing in Bangor
- Utility disconnection notice
- Heating fuel
You can be signed in as a walk-in Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:00-11:00AM and 1:00-3:00PM. Thursdays: 8:00-11:00AM only.
(We cannot guarantee that you will be seen the same day)