Bangor Property Owners (Landlords) and Managers: Lead-Safe Renovation, Repair and Painting Class Scholarships Now Available!
Did you know that EPA Lead-Safe Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Certification rules apply to all property owners & managers who complete their own repairs or renovations?
Property owners (landlords) and property managers who:
- Own or manage Bangor properties built prior to 1978.
- Regularly rent to families with children under age 6.
- Do not currently hold an RRP Certificate.
- Complete their own renovations or repairs.
are eligible to apply for a partial scholarship to participate in the required Lead Safe RRP Class, through December 31, 2018. Application deadline is November 15, 2018.
The in-person RRP class, offered through LeadSMART Training Solutions, has options in Bangor, Portland and Augusta. Partial scholarships of $175 will reduce the out-of-pocket class cost to $50. Over 25 partial scholarships are available!
RRP Class Description: Learn everything you need to know to comply with the EPA Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule. In just one day, you will get information you need from a contractor-instructor who knows what it is like to be in your shoes. Upon successful completion of this 8-hour class, attendees will be issued an EPA Certified Renovator certificate. If you do work on your own rental properties, Federal law requires you to obtain and pay for an EPA Lead Safe Certification ($300 fee). Both the RRP and EPA Lead Safe Certifications are good for 5 years.
- Apply online for a scholarship or complete a hard copy application and mail in. (Contact Bangor Public Health at 207-992-4462 to request an application.)
- Become approved by Bangor Public Health and receive an RRP Scholarship Code.
- Use your scholarship code and sign up for an RRP class directly with LeadSMART at: https://leadsmarttraining.com/ or call 888-731-LEAD (5323).
- Complete the RRP class and receive a Certified Renovator Certificate.
- Obtain your EPA Lead Safe Certification at: https://www.epa.gov/lead/getcertified